The Research Center for Marine Biodiversity (NP-BioMar) is a result of a broad initiative of the USP research administration, fostering multidisciplinary science. This program was greatly increased in October 26th, 2010, when a call was published to fund new USP research centers, across all scientific fields. This was a major effort coordinated by the Vice Provost Office of Research, and supported by respective Offices of Graduate Education, International Affairs and Administration.
Faculty and associate researchers at eight different USP units, with expressive contribution to multidisciplinary marine science, prepared a long-term scientific proposal committed to cutting-edge challenges at the international level, and to promote public policies aiming the welfare of the society. Final approval of this project was published on January 7th, 2011, when the group started collaborative work, based on the Center for Marine Biology (CEBIMar / USP) at São Sebastião, SP. The overall mission of the NP-Biomar is to consolidate a large research group capable to become an institutional reference to the study of marine biodiversity. Specific goals are:
1. Obtain integrated and georeferenced databases of marine biota, covering the immense Brazilian coastline, to directly assist public policies for the sustainable use of marine resources;
2. Permanently assess updated information on marine biodiversity to detect deficiencies and propose ways of improvement;
3. Define strategies to achieve substantial scientific advance in fundamental research, with emphasis on evolution, ecology, bio and phylogeography and conservation;
4. Qualify the CEBIMar / USP for a broader scientific demand by creating new meeting facilities and adequate laboratory spaces.
5. Foster the free-transit of students and professional researchers through laboratories and other working spaces, stimulate the co-advisory of graduate research by faculty with contrasting scientific background, and implement a seminar programme as part of regular curricula.
6. Transfer scientific knowledge to public and private organizations involved in environmental management, and provide support for the sustainable use of resources, especially the prospection of bioactive substances and its use in industry.
Artigos científicos produzidos pela equipe do NP-BioMar, compilados a partir da base de dados Web of Science.